Smith Kesler uses a secure web portal to protect our client’s sensitive information. Below are some steps and hints to help you with any technical difficulties.
|1. As of June 1, 2021, all recipients must register for a portal account. This only needs to be done one time.
|2. Once you register, your account must be activated through the email sent to you.
|3. If you register but don’t receive the account activation email as expected, please check your “Junk” or “Spam” folders, or contact your mail administrator for assistance in reaching your email quarantine.
*NOTE* Gmail users may have their “Spam” folder hidden. Select the ” v More ” option from your Gmail menu, then navigate to the “Spam” folder and search for the activation email.
|4. If you still cannot locate the activation email, please send a request to email@example.com for assistance with your account activation.
Using the SecureShare client portal
- If you receive an email message with secure documents attached, you may download them by logging in to your portal account and reading the message, and/or downloading any attachments.
- If a response is expected, or if you need to send signed copies of any forms, you are able to either “Reply” to a message from within the portal or create a new message to a Smith, Kesler staff member and send it using the portal.
- Messages and documents sent to you are generally available for 60 days from when they were first sent or uploaded.
- If you receive a PDF document that requires a signature, but the document opens inside another tab in your web browser, bringing up a context menu for the document link (right-click for Windows, CTRL-click for Mac) should allow you to “Save link as…” or “Save the file as…” and you are able to download the file to a location of your choosing.
If you successfully downloaded a document but are having a problem opening it:
- Your document might have another password on it for added security. If this is the case, it will either be the last 4 digits of the respective EIN or SSN, or the complete EIN/SSN.
- If you cannot locate your downloaded file, try the download again but this time choose the “Save as…” option which will allow you to choose your preferred folder.
For all other technical problems:
Please do not ask your accountant or any Smith, Kesler staff member to send tax-related information to you outside of a secure channel; it’s against federal law for us to do so. For more help, contact your IT professional for assistance that is specific to your own organization. For more generalized help, you may also email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of the problem and we might be able to offer some other suggestions.